SOUTH CAROLINA MAN LEARNS TO MAKE CANDLES BY WATCHING YOUTUBE
Inspiration strikes in an upscale men’s store when a man comes across a line of handmade scented candles.
Link to the Podcast: https://sidehustleschool.com/episode/80/
Notes from Chris
What do you do if your day job is a seasonal one, meaning that you have several months off or at least a time of year in which your work is much less busy? You start a side hustle, naturally, and that’s exactly what Marc Gaskins did in today’s story.
Marc has a restaurant equipment business that he runs during the busy, wedding season in Charleston, South Carolina, but he often gets bored when business slows down during the hot summer months of July and August and the cold winter months of January and February. He needed something to fill his time, and, after coming across a line of handmade scented candles selling for $85 a piece at a boutique shop, he decided to tackle the world of candle making himself.
Prior to this idea, Marc had absolutely zero experience with candle making. Everything he now knows about the process he learned online watching YouTube videos. It wasn’t always easy for Marc—he had to make many adjustments to his product in order to get to where he is today, but his resourcefulness and business savvy have helped him immensely along the way.
Usually it’s better to work with the skills you already have, but Marc’s story proves that there is much to be said for learning a new process too.
There are lots of resources out there that are available to those who look—is there something you’ve always wanted to learn that might make a good hustle?
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
• Meeting & Market: Learn more about Marc and his handmade candle line
• Shopify: Marc used Shopify to create his website. They’re offering a 21-day trial and exclusive discount for all Side Hustle School listeners!
• CandleScience: Marc credits his knowledge of candle making to this company who not only creates instructional videos, but sells candle making products as well
• Glassnow: The initial company where Marc sourced his amber glass containers for his candles
• National Farmers Market Directory: In addition to selling on his website, Etsy, and Amazon, Marc also sold his candles at his local farmers market. Find your local farmers market here!
• USPS Mail Carrier Makes Clay Imprints for New Parents: How a USPS mail carrier and court interpreter created an $800/month hustle serving new and expectant parents
• Skillshare: If you’re looking to learn a new skill to help your side hustle, check out the courses at Skillshare. Right now you can get a full month free for being a Side Hustle School listener!
Inspiration is good; inspiration combined with action is better. Now get back to work!
Yours in the revolution,
This is an attempt to bring Chris’s ideas from the podcast to youtubeFull Credit to CHRIS GUILLEBEAU’s
What Are Affiliate Marketing Networks?
Affiliate Marketing Networks. What are they? Do you need them? While networks do make it easy to manage a merchant’s affiliate program you can find merchants without a network at all. I’ve included some networks you can join. These are all free.My Answers to 4 Essential Questions That Relate to a Successful E-Marketing and a Philosophy!
Finally, you will know what it takes to make a good earning as an affiliate. In this article you are going to uncover the essential features of a flourishing affiliate business that I have found mentally stimulating, financially getting me returns and emotionally giving me happiness and security. Enjoy!7 Affiliate Marketing Terms You Need To Know
These are the Affiliate marketing terms you need to know. If you are new as an affiliate marketer or if you have been in the game a while, you still need to understand the information in this article.Affiliate Marketing Strategies of the Pros
What do the top affiliate marketers do? Find out in this article.To Do List For Building An Affiliate Marketing Business
Every affiliate marketer needs a good To Do list. Here is a great one to start with.